Summer Bean Salad with Tomatoes
As I mentioned in my last post, it is the start of the tomato season. The tomatoes from my garden are already piling up in my talavera dish on the kitchen table–what to do with them? Being that its already hitting triple digits here in central TX, this Summer Bean Salad is a perfect option. The original recipe hails from The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre cookbook.
- 2 cups cooked and cooled beans OR 1 can beans, rinsed and drained (any kind of beans will work–I just happened to have black beans)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 2 lemons OR 3 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mix together oil, garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, basil and parsley. Let this sit while chopping the veggies.
- Mix the vegetables with the dressing and add to beans. Toss lightly.
- This salad will keep wonderfully for a few days in the fridge.
Notes: Want to learn how to cook dry beans? Click here to read a blog entry I wrote all about cooking dry beans-its easy, healthy and cheap.