How ‘Bout a Po’ Boy?
Being that I work in the world of [sustainable] food and love food and cooking, I come across a lot of recipes. The ones that I intend to make (one day) get copied and put into my big white binder o’ recipes. I don’t follow recipes too often (I do a lot of “this goes with that, and I have this in my fridge…” cooking), so I have to make it a point to pick out something new to try. I had 2 lbs of shrimp I wanted to use, so I flipped to the seafood section in my binder…
I chose Eating Well‘s Shrimp Po’ Boy from the May/June 2008. Because I don’t have a grill and didn’t have any tomatoes, I adapted the recipe. Here’s my version.
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 [homemade] dill pickles, chopped
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns
- Salt and Pepper to taste
(1) Mix cabbage, mayo, yogurt and dill pickles in a bowl. Set aside.
(2) Mix shrimp with cayenne and paprika. Set aside.
(3) Saute onion in oil in large pan on low heat for 20 minutes, or until the onions are quite soft.
(4) Add a tad more oil (if necessary) and increase heat in pan. Add shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes, or until done. (Use tongs to flip shrimp on either side for thorough cooking. ) Remove shrimp and onion from pan. Meanwhile, slightly toast hot dog buns in oven.
Open hot dog bun and add shrimp and onions. Add cabbage on top. After eating, lick. your. fingers. yum.