Quick, Seasonal Stir-fry (in under 45 minutes)
On Sunday afternoon I had less than an hour to put together a meal for Monday’s lunch. I looked in my fridge and freezer and pieced together the following dish:
- 1/3 head of cabbage (from farmers’ mkt)
- 3-4 large carrots (from farmers’ mkt)
- 3 handfuls of tatsoi (from my garden)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- Sesame oil
- Red Basmati Rice
- 1/4 C Special Dressing II* (from my friend, Rebecca)
- Get previously-made rice out of freezer. Put in fridge to thaw in order to be ready for Monday’s lunch.
- Wash veggies. Chop cabbage. Mince garlic. Shred carrots (I used the food processor to shred the carrots in order to speed things up). Chop tatsoi. Slice onion.
- Place a tablespoon or so of oil in large pan. Add onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and carrots. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add tatsoi and cook for about 4-5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Place cup of rice on plate, 1.5 cups of sauteed veggies on top of rice and about 1/4 cup of Special Dressing II.
- Reheat in microwave for quick lunch!
* Special Dressing II is VERY versatile! I made a pint of it last week and used it as a salad dressing, as a dip with sweet farmers’ mkt carrots and as a sauce for this quick stir-fry. It’s uber-easy to make and you’ll have a hard time not licking the jar out in one setting.